For the past several years there has been one side dish that always makes an appearance on our holiday table: hot rice. This is a family recipe that is loved by all. Even my husband requests hot rice for every holiday meal. I decided to try Minute® Rice in this recipe because Minute® Rice has been around since 1949 helping families create wonderful and nutritious meals. There are so many ways you can use Minute® Rice, and it’s great in holiday side dishes.
Did you know there are a variety of Minute® Rice products? Their newest product is Minute® Rice Multi-Grain Medley. It contains four gluten-free foods made with 100% grains. The best part? It cooks in only 10 minutes! That is a must for a busy mama.
I chose Minute® White Rice for my recipe, because that is what our original recipe calls for. Here’s how to make it yourself:
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 cups Minute® White Rice
2 4.5 oz. packets dry chicken noodle soup mix
4.5 cups water
1 lb. sausage (I use mild breakfast sausage, but to truly make this recipe “hot” use hot sausage)
1 onion diced (I usually also dice a bell pepper and throw it in the pan with the onion. I did not have a bell pepper this time.)
4 oz. processed cheese product (If you don’t eat processed cheese you could try 2 cups shredded cheddar with a bit of milk.)
Start by combining 2 cups of Minute® white rice with 4.5 cups water.
Bring the pot to a boil, then add 2 packets of dry chicken noodle soup mix.
Place the lid on the pot and allow rice and noodles to cook until all water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, brown sausage and onion in another pan.
When all water is absorbed in rice/noodle mixture, add sausage and onions.
Then mix in processed cheese.
Now you have ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness! No, it’s not the healthiest side dish. That’s why we only serve it at holidays! But, it is one of the most requested recipes at our holiday get-togethers!
- 2 cups Minute® Rice.
- 4.5 cups water.
- 2 packages dry noodle soup mix.
- 1 lb. sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 4 oz. processed cheese product
- Start by combining 2 cups of Minute® white rice with 4.5 cups water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then add 2 packets of dry chicken noodle soup mix.
- Place the lid on the pot and allow rice and noodles to cook until all water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage and onion in another pan.
- Drain sausage.
- When all water is absorbed in rice/noodle mixture, add sausage and onions.
- Then mix in processed cheese until melted.
- Use hot sausage to make this truly "hot" rice. I use mild breakfast sausage because my kids don't like the hot.
- You can add in one diced bell pepper with the onion.
- If you don't like processed cheese, try 2 cups shredded cheddar with a bit of milk.
This post is sponsored by Minute® Rice. All opinions are my own.