Who doesn’t love a delicious and easy instant pot recipe? One of my absolute favorite dishes of all time is chicken marsala. My husband and I don’t really get to go out to eat together much these days with six ones underfoot, but on the off chance that we do, we typically wind up at The Olive Garden. If I try to deviate from my standard chicken marsala I am always disappointed. This instant pot chicken marsala recipe lets me bring this delicious dish to my dinner table, and bonus, I can use my pressure cooker to make it even easier!
Pressure Cooker Chicken Marsala
Few things scream comfort food more than a delicious chicken dish smothered in a rich, creamy mushroom sauce. Seriously, this is one of my favorite recipes! I will say, you definitely need to like mushrooms to enjoy this dish, but it’s just so, so good!
Let’s talk about how to coat your chicken breasts so that they have a delicious crumb texture before you put add the delicious sauce. You’ll need coconut flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Combine all of those ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Next, you’ll want to pound your chicken breasts to about 1/4″ thickness. I personally like to slice my chicken breasts in half before pounding. It helps stretch the meat for my hungry family.
Put the chicken breasts in a gallon ziplock bag and pour the flour mixture over the chicken. Seal the bag and shake it so that all of the chicken breasts are coated.
What to know what’s cool about the Instant Pot? You can sear your meat right in the pot before pressure cooking. Less dishes!
Set your Instant Pot to high, add some olive oil, and brown your chicken breasts on both sides. You’ll need to work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot.
With your chicken set aside, add butter to your pressure cooker. Throw in the mushrooms, red onions, and saute until for a couple of minutes. Now add the marsala wine and chicken broth, Deglaze the cooking container by scraping up the brown bits with a plastic spatula.
Turn the Instant Pot off, add the chicken back into the pot, and cover. Lock the lid and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust setting to “high.” Set cook time to 10 minutes.
When the cook time is finished, all the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken breasts and set them aside.
Next, temper some heavy cream with the liquid from the pot. Once tempered, add the heavy cream, cream cheese, and parsley to the pot to make the sauce! Serve your chicken with the mushroomy sauce on top!
This is a healthy Instant Pot chicken marsala recipe because we are using coconut flour instead of white flour. You are welcome to try white flour if you don’t use coconut.
What is a good side dish for chicken marsala?
My favorite side dish for chicken marsala is mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. I particularly love garlic mashed potatoes. I love to cut my chicken into pieces and dip them into the mashed potatoes. It’s sooo good! I also love a nice steamed vegetable medley with sea salt and butter on the side. Occasionally, I also really like steamed green beans with the chicken marsala, too.
What can I substitute for marsala wine?
Marsala wine has a pretty distinct flavor, so trying to find a substitute will likely leave you with a different flavored dish. You can try 1/4 cup dry white wine and 1 teaspoon brandy.
For a non-alcoholic substitute for marsala wine try:
- 1/4 cup of white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- ¼ c. coconut flour I
- ½ T. Italian seasoning
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼“ thick
- 2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- ¾ c. sweet Marsala wine
- ¾ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temp and cut into chunks
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine coconut flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Place chicken breasts in a one-gallon plastic freezer bag and pour seasoned flour mixture on top. Seal bag and turn several times until chicken is evenly coated.
- Select “Sauté” function on Instant Pot® and set to high. Add one tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, remove chicken from bag and shake off excess flour mixture. Add enough chicken to cover bottom without overcrowding. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Brown chicken on each side, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove and repeat with remaining chicken, adding more olive oil as necessary for each batch.
- Add butter to Instant Pot®. Once melted, add Portobello mushrooms and red onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms turn brown and the onions soften, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and chicken broth and deglaze bottom of the cooking container by gently scraping up the brown bits with a plastic spatula.
- Turn Instant Pot® off and add browned chicken to the pot and cover. Lock the lid and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust setting to “high.” Set cook time to 10 minutes.
- When cook time is finished, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and remove lid. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and rest for 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, temper heavy cream with approximately 2 tablespoons of the hot liquid from Instant Pot®. Once tempered, add heavy cream, cream cheese, and chopped parsley to the pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Top each chicken breast with some of the creamy mushroom sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.