I love poblano peppers. They are relatively mild, although you can stumble into a few spicy ones. They are so delicious in so many ways, but one of my favorite ways to eat them is in a poblano soup. Today, we are going to make this soup even easier by making Instant Pot Poblano Soup with ground beef. I love easy Instant Pot recipes, and this one fits the bill! Get ready for a delicious soup recipe for your winter dinner!
Poblano Soup Made in the Instant Pot
This poblano soup is made with simple ingredients and everything is done in the Instant Pot! You’ll need diced red onion, chopped poblano peppers, olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, ground beef, crushed tomatoes, rice, and broth.
Add a little olive oil to the Instant Pot and sauté the onions and peppers until the soften. Transfer the veggies to a bowl, and cook the ground beef. Carefully drain the ground beef, add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot, and cook on the high setting for 20 minutes. Voila, a simple, hearty soup!
Poblano Soup Variations
There are several ways you can change the recipe. Roast the poblano peppers in the oven instead of sautéing them, add fire roasted corn, or other peppers. You could even trade the ground beef for chicken if you’d like, or go completely meatless! You could top this soup with cheese, crispy tortilla chips, or some pico de gallo. I think fresh cilantro is a nice addition, too!
I absolutely love soup recipes! Since we eat so many soups during the winter, I wanted to get some durable bowls and other dishes. Nearly all of our dinnerware sets have been broken over the years! For Christmas I got some Corelle dish sets, and I’m so happy! They fit so nicely in my cabinets and they are much more durable than regular plates and bowls.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 2 large Poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 t. garlic powder, minced
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3½ c. beef or chicken broth,
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice, uncooked
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, Poblano peppers, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onions and pepper soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer veggie mixture to a medium bowl. Add ground beef and brown for 3-4 minutes, or until no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally. Turn the unit off and carefully drain any excess fat from the container.
- Pour sautéed veggies on top of the browned beef. Add broth, crushed tomatoes, and brown rice. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 20 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- To serve, transfer soup to individual bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Enjoy!