You have to try this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe. It is the easiest mashed potato recipe I have ever made, and the end result is incredibly creamy and delicious. This is the perfect side dish for any holiday meal, or even for a quick weeknight supper! Let’s chat about how to make the best mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker. It’s perfect if you love easy Instant Pot recipes!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
You can make mashed potatoes a million different ways and with all varieties of potatoes. For this recipe, I am using red potatoes. I give the potatoes a good scrub and then leave the skins on. Honestly, I used to prefer peeled potatoes, but I do not have a lot of time to peel potatoes these days. Plus, red potatoes have such thin skin that it’s not a big deal in the mashed potatoes.
Once the potatoes are scrubbed, you’ll want to quarter them and place them in your Instant Pot.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
For this recipe we are going to use butter, chicken broth, and garlic. Garlic gives mashed potatoes a delicious flavor. If you don’t like garlic mashed potatoes, you can leave it out.
Cook your potatoes on high for for 8 minutes, and then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure and opening the lid.
While the potatoes are still nice and hot, add a block of cube cream cheese to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. You can also use a hand mixer to get your mashed potatoes extra smooth. The cream cheese adds a delicious flavor to the potatoes and really helps to make the dish extra creamy.
Serve with salt and pepper and you’ve got yourself a simple side dish perfect for your holiday dinner, Sunday meal, or weeknight supper!
Do I have to drain the instant pot mashed potatoes?
The beauty of Instant Pot mashed potatoes is that you do not have to drain them! They cook in a bit of broth and the pressure cooker makes them perfectly tender that they can be mashed easily without worrying about having to drain anything. Another bonus of using your pressure cooker is that all the delicious broth flavor just gets absorbed right into the mashed potatoes!
Items used to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
More delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
- Place potatoes, garlic, and broth in Instant Pot®. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the lid and flip pressure valve to “Sealing” position. Select the “Manual” option and adjust setting to “high.” Set cook time to 8 minutes. When finished, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open lid and add cream cheese. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher or an immersion blender until blended, but not completely smooth. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!