Ah, glass cleaning. Don’t you just love it when you wipe a mirror clean of all the toothpaste marks, or clean your glass doors of all the fingerprints? There are many different ways to clean glass, and today I’m sharing some cleaning tips and hacks that will help you find the best ways to clean glass. Let’s jump into it!
How To Clean Glass Surfaces
Cleaning glass can be a pain in the behind. I aim to clean most of my glass surfaces about once a week according to my monthly cleaning calendar. Glass can be streaky or cloudy. If you’re cleaning a window you’ll definitely want to clean both sides of it. In order to clean glass properly, you need to start with the right tools. While a squeegee may seem like a good choice, and does work well for cleaning glass shower doors, it can be trickier for the inside of windows or mirror glass. Here are some good, lint-free options:
- Coffee filters
- Microfiber cloths
Next, you’ll want to opt for a cleaner. There are lots of commercial glass cleaners available, but some of them can actually leave a residue behind.
Natural Ways to Clean Glass
If you’re looking for the best homemade glass cleaner, I encourage you to try a few different types to find the one that works for you. Here are a few different recipes you may want to try:
- Equal parts distilled white vinegar and water
- Two tablespoons of ammonia mixed with two quarts warm water (Do not mix ammonia with other cleaners!)
- Two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid mixed with two quarts of warm water (I like the plain blue Dawn dishwashing liquid)
I also have a good glass cleaning recipe in in my printable homemade cleaners cheat sheet.
What is the best way to clean glass?
In order to clean your glass tabletops and windows to streak-free shine, you’ll want to lightly spray the surface with your cleaner and then work with your cleaning rag in an up and down motion on one side of the glass, and a side-to-side motion on the other side. This way you can see where your streaks are.
Try not to spray too much cleaner on your surface, or you will have issues getting all of it off of the glass.
Best Window Cleaning Products
Cleaning windows is always included in my zone cleaning. Windows can get icky with the dust, splatters, fingerprints, and bugs taking a toll. Follow the tips above and use one of the simple homemade cleaning solutions to clean the inside of the windows. Don’t forget about cleaning your window sills and tracks, too!
How To Clean the Outside of Windows
The outside of your windows are going to be a lot grosser than the inside.
- Start by rinsing your windows with a hose to remove any large amounts of debris.
- Then, use a microfiber cloth or a sponge mop for hard to reach windows to go over each window.
- Rinse again with the hose.
- Use your homemade cleaning solution to clean or mop windows that are hard to reach.
- This time, use a squeegee to dry your windows. It takes some finesse, but angle the squeegee down and begin at the top of the window and work your way down. You can also dry the windows with newspaper or a clean microfiber cloth.
- Wash your window screens with a vinegar and water solution, rinse them, and let them dry before putting back on the house.
- If you have hard water mineral deposits, consider using a cleaner like CLR to blast them away.
And you’re done! Whew! I hope these tips will help you get the glass in your home crystal clear!