There’s nothing quite like easy Instant Pot recipes for a mama’s arsenal of recipes for a busy weeknight. I have to admit my pressure cooker has been such an amazing tool for my kitchen that I will never not own one! I use it at least twice a week. One of the staples on our menu is chicken breasts recipes. My husband prefers the white meat of the breast, so I’m always on the lookout for yummy ways to cook it! Today I’m going to tell you about this delicious Instant Pot Italian chicken breast recipe. This one does require a few extra steps, so it’s not a dump and go recipe, but it’s still pretty easy!
Simple Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe – Italian Chicken
This chicken breast recipe uses only real, fresh ingredients, so the end result is extremely healthy and full of flavor.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
½ medium red onion, diced
8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
4 6-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼” thick
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
1 t. garlic powder
2 T. fresh thyme leaves
2 T. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 oz. goat cheese, cut into chunks
3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
You’ll start this recipe by using the Saute function of your pressure cooker. You’ll want to saute your veggies until they are transparent in some olive oil and then transfer to another dish while you prepare to brown your chicken breasts.
Normally, I have no problem making frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot. This recipe is a bit different, however, because it requires that you brown the chicken. You’ll want to make sure your chicken breasts are thawed for this step.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper, and work in batches to brown each side of the breast. Set browned chicken breasts to the side.
Next, return the onions and mushrooms to the unit, and add the chicken broth, garlic powder, and herbs to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
You’ll need a metal trivet for this next step. Place the trivet into the unit and then place the browned chicken breasts on top of the trivet. This allows the chicken breasts to cook and still maintain their sear.
Cook on high for ten minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally for ten minutes, release remaining pressure and remove chicken from the Instant Pot.
Add the goat cheese to the liquid and stir until it melts. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Serve immediately with the delicious mushroom sauce spooned over each chicken breast!
If you have two pressure cookers, this recipe would be fantastic with our Instant Pot mashed potatoes.
And that’s it! This recipe is so simple, yet so full of flavor! It’s definitely a keeper and now part of our dinner rotation.
Best pressure cooker chicken recipes
Are you looking for more delicious pressure cooker chicken recipes? Try these!
- 2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
- 4 6-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼” thick
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 T. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 oz. goat cheese, cut into chunks
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion and Portobello mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions soften and mushrooms start to release their liquid, approximately 5-6 minutes. Transfer veggies to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to unit and season chicken breasts with salt and black pepper on both sides. Working in batches, if necessary, add chicken to the Instant Pot® without overcrowding. Brown on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove browned chicken from unit and repeat process with remaining olive oil and chicken breasts, as needed.
- Return mushrooms and onions to Instant Pot® and add chicken broth, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Place the metal trivet that comes with the Instant Pot® into the cooking container. Place chicken breasts on top of the trivet and cover. Lock the lid and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust setting to “high.” Set cook time to 10 minutes.
- When cook time is finished, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and remove lid. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the goat cheese to the cooking liquid and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Serve immediately with some of the mushroom sauce spooned over each chicken breast. Enjoy!